Pick a neutral nail color like a light pink or a nude color or even a standard French manicure. This will ensure if you get a job interview or start at a new place, you are not trying to get bright red or green off your nails right before.
Sometimes, you just need a good spa day. However, if you’re trying to save money, it can be really difficult to do that, since you can’t exactly go drop a couple of hundred dollars at the spa for a massage and facial. While a do it yourself spa day isn’t quite on the same level as getting a professional massage, you can still have a lot of fun, and find some zen during the day. Here are some tips for a do it yourself spa day.
Do It Yourself Spa Day Suggestions:
- Invite some gal pals over. If you’ve been missing your girls, then invite them over for this day. You can crack open some sparkling wine, break out some snacks, and catch up on everyone’s lives.
- Buy a gel nail polish. It’s cheaper than going to a nail salon, but they really work. Two of my favorites are Sally Hansen gel, and Essie gel. Neither of them need that harmful UV Light either, and Essie I keep finding sales on the polishes at Target, so I’m getting one for $5 instead of the $12.
- Get some facial masks. I have very sensitive skin, so this one will take some looking for, but if you want to give yourself a facial, the easiest way is with one of those masks. If you have sensitive skin like me, look for one that specifies it’s good for sensitive skin. I tried a SheaMoisture one for sensitive skin, and my face resembled a burn victim for two days, so I highly recommend avoiding that one.
- Before the girls come over, soak in a bubble bath or use a bath bomb. Take 15-20 minutes to just relax, and get yourself in the zone.
- Light a nice smelling candle, and play some music. I’m sure you’ve got a candle laying around that smells great, and Pandora has some free relaxation music stations that will get you in the zen mode.
- Use a bowl from your kitchen to soak your feet and hands in before painting your nails. This will help soften up the cuticles and the nails, and give you that same relaxing feeling you get at the spa.
- Slice up some cucumbers! Does it do anything, not really, at least according to those that work at a spa, but it sure does feel nice to put those cucumber slices over your eyes while your mask is working its magic.
- Make some fruit infused water. Whether you want watermelon lime or just plain lemon water, whip up a batch, and be sure to drink plenty of it. Everyone needs some good H2O when going to the spa.
- Wear your fluffy robe. Why not, you’re at a spa! You’ll feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Have some magazines ready for browsing. You can take the little quizzes or read all your celebrity gossip.
- If you have a neck massager, or a massage rolling ball, use those! It’s not quite the same as a spa massage, but it will help remove some of those knots from your neck and back area.
- Get a bouquet of fresh flowers. Put them in a vase on the table or near where your spa zone is set up, and enjoy the fresh scent they bring.
- Set yourself up in your back patio or by the pool if you have one. If not, create a zen area in your house.
- Have glasses of wine or cocktails ready. Mocktails are a great option for those under 21, and you can get as fancy as you want with them.
- Prepare your favorite snacks. Little fruit parfaits are delicious and healthy, and it’s always nice to have your friends over and eat some delicious treats with them.
- Have a nice meal delivered at the end of the day. Order takeout and with everyone chipping it, it won’t be too bad price-wise, and you can extend this party into the evening.
- Have an old-fashioned sleepover. If you prefer to get everyone together at night, have the girls over for a sleepover instead.
There are so many great ways to elevate your do it yourself spa day. If you are desperately needing some me time, then take these tips and make them for one. Pour yourself a glass of wine, put on some music, and sit back and relax. Whether you want a group or not, a do it yourself spa day is much cheaper than going to a spa or salon, and it can be just as much fun. You’ll be able to relax, spend some time with friends or yourself, and enjoy a couple of hours of your day that’ll help you to recharge for the upcoming week.
I don’t mean go get one each week, but give yourself one. There are so many great nail polishes out there, and a fresh manicure really helps you to look put together each day.