One of the biggest tips a top chef will give you while working in the kitchen is to clean as you go. A messy kitchen is not a sign of a good chef, even while preparing a delicious meal, so if you find yourself surrounded by dirty dishes and ingredients strewn about, you may want to change your method. Clean as you go and you won’t dread doing the dishes after dinner.
*This is a sponsored post
I think it’s safe to say from my previous posts and my love of HGTV shows like Fixer Upper and Property Brothers, that I have been bitten by the interior design bug. In fact, this is something I’ve been passionate about since I was in high school, when we were first told to design a room of our choosing. We not only drew up the blueprints, but also put together all the paint colors, finishes, and the furniture too, of course.
Since then, while I haven’t done anything professionally, I do find home décor a very serious thing, and there are many different pieces I put together for décor finishing touches. After all, we all have different tastes and styles, but there are some things that are universal options for finishing a look, and available in a variety of colors/patterns/fabrics to meet any style.
- A good rug can really pull a room together. I use rugs in my bedroom, bathroom, and even a few placed throughout the home in different areas. Some prefer a super fluffy rug for their feet to touch first thing each morning, while others prefer something sleek and minimal, something that reminds them of a hotel they stayed at and loved. For me, I prefer a bit more of a fluffy rug in my bedroom, but prefer something more sleek and refined for the rest of the home. I even have an outdoor rug that will go under my outdoor table when I complete my backyard redesign. This is why I love Ottomanson. This website has it all! Whether you are searching for a fun patterned rug for under your bed or a runner rug to welcome people into your beautiful home, they have something for everyone. If you’re designing the hotel bathroom/spa of your dreams, they have a runner rug that will lead you into your paradise. The best part is that you won’t break the bank! They’re also pet-friendly! This is a must in my household.This company has been around for over 10 years now, and they just keep creating stunning, affordable rugs, among other things, that look beautiful in your home. And if you need help, don’t worry, they have great customer service that would be happy to assist you with completing your order or even ordering more pieces for your home.
- The right pillow can really bring a room together. Maybe you’re tying in different furniture pieces or even decorating for a holiday theme. Christmas is right around the corner, so you know I’ve pulled out some holiday pillows to add to the room. I’ve found that without them, the chairs don’t seem to fit quite right, but when I match pillows with my Christmas tree skirt, everything gets pulled together beautifully and I have a Christmas living room that I adore spending time in. The same goes for rooms all year long. A pillow can show your personality, as well as tie in different themes all into one. Not to mention, a bed, chair or couch just looks plain without a good throw pillow.
- I know, you probably didn’t even think of this as a finishing décor piece. Whether decking the halls for the holidays or just preparing the staged table for dinner, a tablecloth is a necessity. If you’re looking to get one-stop shopping check out the options from Ottomanson. These tablecloths come in a variety of prints and styles so you can find the perfect fit for your tastes and for your kitchen. Whether you prefer to have a kitchen full of sunflowers or a more natural tone, they’ve got you covered.
- The right candle can complete a room. From bringing in a fresh scent or matching the seasonal tone, a candle is the perfect option to complete a room. Those who know me will tell you I am a total candle fiend. I always seem to find an excuse to buy candles and can always think of reasons why I need more. I have them in my bathroom, bedroom, even in my office near my laptop. Having a lit candle is soothing to me, not to mention, it smells amazing. I shop from a variety of places for my candles and usually purchase ones that match the season, so right now my candles are all Christmas themed, and I couldn’t be happier.
These décor finishing touches can take your room from nice to stunning. And the best part is it doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. I’m big on decorating but on a budget, and it’s important to me that my house looks nice without necessarily making me go broke. These are some of the ways I can bring everything together nicely.
Hey y’all one of my favorite holidays is coming up this week and are you ready? Whether you are hosting a bunch of family over for the day, traveling to be with others for the week or spending it on your own, you’ll want to start preparations early. For those hosting, that’ll start with doing chores one evening, the next making pies ahead of time, then preparing the stuffing mix, etc. If you split it up into a few tasks each evening leading up to the big day, you can enjoy the actual day of a little more without feeling so stressed out. For those of you traveling, the same thing applies! Pack your bags ahead of time, make sure your arrangements for your pets are done, get that rental car confirmed, and then make sure to take time to relax beforehand. Traveling can be super stressful, so take care of yourself and try to alleviate any extra stress that you can. For those who will be spending it on your own, prepare a smaller version of the big meal for yourself, and then find some time to relax. Whether you have to work Black Friday or are studying for a big test, get some of the other things done out of the way chore-wise so you can focus on that and not feel as stressed each day.
We all get a case of insomnia every now and then, and sometimes it’s because we just can’t seem to get comfortable. If that’s the case for you, and you’re considering a new mattress, but don’t want to because it’s a bit too much right now, there are ways to upgrade your bed without buying a new mattress.
A mattress pad is a great way to upgrade your bed without buying a new mattress. It’s a fraction of the cost of a new mattress, and can really add new life to your mattress, especially if you’ve been feeling uncomfortable or even waking up with aches and pains.
New sheets is another option, try a different material your treat yourself to those expensive satin sheets you’ve been eyeing. The satin is great for your hair and skin (it helps prevent breakage and wrinkles, win win) and it may be just the change you need to sleep tight each night.
I know, I know, y’all were not expecting me to suggest adding even more work onto your already full plates, but that’s exactly what this weekly tip is about. Taking on extra work in all areas of your life shows not only initiative, but it also shows a desire to get ahead and to make changes in your life.
So what does this take on extra work mean exactly? It could mean anything you want it to. For some, it’s asking for more responsibility at work, for others it could mean pitching in with household chores more. Take things on slowly, and see what you reap from it. You’ll never regret working hard.
Whether you plan your outfits for the week or you just decide in the morning, make sure to iron before your week starts. This will save you time and energy, and make sure you can wear that cute dress or nice shirt when you want to, rather than having to iron before work or push the outfit back for another day.
Whether you are a pet owner or you suffer from seasonal allergies, getting an air purifier can be a great option for you to upgrade the air in your home. As a pet owner, I of course have air purifiers in my home specifically designed for pet dander, and as a seasonal allergy sufferer as well, let me tell you, these things are amazing.
I personally use Levoit air purifiers in my bedrooms, and they work fantastic! If one of your concerns is the noise, cast that care away, they have night modes, as well as run nearly silently. I keep mine running on 2 out of 3 levels, and I don’t even hear it. They are also very small, so they can sit on the floor or on a dresser without taking up too much space, which is nice if you have smaller rooms.
The only thing I will warn any pet parents on is getting an air purifier that has an ionizer. Unfortunately, ionizers release ozone into the air as a byproduct, which can actually be harmful to small creatures, especially within the house. So opt for one that doesn’t have that option, and you will be well on your way to combatting some of you allergy meds and just having cleaner air throughout your home.
Hey y’all, the best time of the year has finally started to arrive! With that being said, we can now open up windows and enjoy the cooler air, and with that comes some fall cleaning.
I love doing a deep clean of my house after summer because we’ve had the house locked up with the AC running, and it’s nice to help get some of those everyday life odors out and freshen up the house. One thing that I discovered is a great deodorizer is coffee! That’s right, ground coffee, put in bowls all around your house will not only make it smell like a coffeehouse, which um yes please, but it also will help deodorize the air, which is great for helping to freshen up after a long summer.
This is especially great for pet parents who may not have realized it, but our animals, even when you bathe and clean up after them each day, still tend to have a little bit of an odor, and when they’re inside all day and the house is closed up, that can build up a bit. Luckily, you can buy a cheap bag of coffee and the odors will disappear. And did I mention your house will smell like coffee? Win-win! Happy fall y’all!
Hey ya’ll, so it’s been a hectic past couple of weeks, and that’s because I have been preparing a house to sell. If you’ve never done this process before, you may not realize just how much goes into it, which is why I’m here to share this information. To warn you, so you know just how much time and effort is going to go into this, I have some tips on preparing a house to sell. Some of it you can do yourself, others you should definitely hire out, because it is just so much work on your own.
- Clean the outside of your house. That’s right, you either need to repaint your house or have it cleaned in some way. I figured that wasn’t a huge thing, but my realtor assured me that was incorrect, and it definitely needed a cleaning. Now, I decided that was something I could do myself, so I took out the pressure washer, and started pressure washing. It took hours, not to mention, I had to be very careful not to actually chip off the paint, because then I would have to repaint the house which I was trying to avoid. This is where a company like ZAP Cleaning comes into play. They offer a service called Soft Washing. For those who didn’t know, like me, soft washing is a different way to get the same sparkling results from pressure washing a house, but without the potential damage to the paint! This method of cleaning is a great way to get mold, mildew, grime, all of that nasty stuff off your house, without potential damage. If you happen to be in the Sarasota area, you are in luck, since ZAP Cleaning will be able to do this for you. There are several service areas they offer, including Sarasota, Venice, Southgate, Osprey, Bee Ridge, Fruitville, Naples, Siesta Key, and more. Check out the full list of service areas and see if they are near you!
ZAP Cleaning is well-known for providing wonderful customer service and they believe that customer satisfaction is number one. Not only do they offer soft washing cleaning options, they also do pressure washing, window cleaning, and roof cleaning. These services are offered for residential and commercial buildings, so you can easily get this cleaning done whether for your personal home or for your office building. Consider this an investment in your home or business, as you’ll bring in more people. I know it worked well for my house 😊
- Pressure wash your driveway. Again, this is something I’d highly recommend you hire someone to do, I wound up with a lovely sunburn on my shoulders, sweat at least 10 pounds out, and had to drink gallons of water to stay alive out in the Florida heat. I spent hours working on it, and while my driveway now glows and looks beautiful, it was a very tough job. That’s one thing that while it seems relatively easy, it definitely is harder than it seems, especially in 100 degree weather. So my suggestions: either do it yourself in the winter or hire someone else to do it during summer hours.
- Repaint doorframes. This is an indoor task that is easy enough, just takes a little bit of time, and is completely worth it. I did the door frames, as well as the baseboards, and it looks so much better than it did. Even if you don’t notice it, the paint does fade as time goes on, and they definitely need to be freshened up for a sale. This can also help cover up any potential scuffs or marks that occurred during your time living there.
- Grout cleaning. Again, this is one of those tasks that you probably don’t think about too much, but definitely needs to be done before selling your house. It’s not something we think about in the day to day cleaning and going about with our lives, and if you regularly mop your floors and keep up with things, you may think that you are good without doing this step, but it makes a huge difference. There are different types of cleaners you can get at different stores, the one I used is an acid base, and it brought up grime that the mop didn’t get.
- Clean the windows and mirrors. You may clean the mirrors every time that you clean your bathroom, but you likely don’t clean your windows on a weekly basis. If you do, good for you, send me that motivation! I had to go through and clean the inside and outside of the windows, and again, not something I initially thought of, but all of it goes into creating a beautiful, desirable home that people will want to buy.
There is definitely much more to it than just clearing out the clutter, and doing the traditional cleaning. Make sure you’re aware of the amount of time this will take and plan accordingly. I’ve been rushing around quite a bit, and wish I had started some of these tasks ahead of time, so I could have gotten a head start on the whole process. However, I’m glad I know it now, and am happy to share this with you. Happy cleaning! 😊
There are plenty of Youtube tutorials to help you reupholster old furniture to reuse rather than buy new items.