Hey y’all so one thing I’ve really been focusing on lately is my skincare. It’s soo necessary, especially as we age, and there are so many things that can help. So for this Wellness Wednesday, it’s all about our skin.
Fun fact, did you know the skin is the largest organ on the body? Since that’s the case, it’s more important than ever to take care of your skin.
Here are some skincare must do’s:
- Drink water. This is the biggest thing you can do, your skin will be glowing and you’ll feel great!
- Apply a face mask once a week. As someone with sensitive skin, this can be a bit difficult sometimes, and it took some trial and error, but I finally found some that worked well for me and relax my skin without causing irritation. It’s also great for self-care.
- Remove your makeup each night. I’m not going to lie, I slack at this one way too often. But there are studies saying it can age you, not to mention give you acne and other skin issues, so make sure to set aside some time to remove it every single night.
- Use a toner. Even if you don’t have oily skin or an acne issue, use a toner. It’ll help even out your skin tone and keep your skin from getting oily or acne-filled.
- Moisturize. Again, sometimes with oilier skin you may think you don’t need any more moisture, but moisturizing is good for your skin, especially as we get into colder weather (everywhere but Florida anyway).
- Exfoliate weekly. Even if you wash your face every day, build up can still happen, so make sure you exfoliate each week. It’ll help clean out the buildup and gunk that can gather.
- Get a good cleanser. There’s no question that you need a quality cleanser for your skin. I’ve tried several kinds, my favorite is one by SheaMoisture and they have several options.
- Use a jade roller. This is good if you deal with puffiness under your eyes or wake up with some puffy skin one morning. The best part, you can put it in the fridge and it’ll really cool your face down.
- Stop touching your face! Again, this is one thing I’m horrible about, but I’m trying to work on it every day. Touching your face multiple times can cause wrinkles, acne, and more.
- Eat for your skin. You are what you eat, so make sure you are eating healthy foods and nourishing your body and your skin. Cucumbers are not just good for over your eyes 🙂
Sometimes, you just need a good spa day. However, if you’re trying to save money, it can be really difficult to do that, since you can’t exactly go drop a couple of hundred dollars at the spa for a massage and facial. While a do it yourself spa day isn’t quite on the same level as getting a professional massage, you can still have a lot of fun, and find some zen during the day. Here are some tips for a do it yourself spa day.
Do It Yourself Spa Day Suggestions:
- Invite some gal pals over. If you’ve been missing your girls, then invite them over for this day. You can crack open some sparkling wine, break out some snacks, and catch up on everyone’s lives.
- Buy a gel nail polish. It’s cheaper than going to a nail salon, but they really work. Two of my favorites are Sally Hansen gel, and Essie gel. Neither of them need that harmful UV Light either, and Essie I keep finding sales on the polishes at Target, so I’m getting one for $5 instead of the $12.
- Get some facial masks. I have very sensitive skin, so this one will take some looking for, but if you want to give yourself a facial, the easiest way is with one of those masks. If you have sensitive skin like me, look for one that specifies it’s good for sensitive skin. I tried a SheaMoisture one for sensitive skin, and my face resembled a burn victim for two days, so I highly recommend avoiding that one.
- Before the girls come over, soak in a bubble bath or use a bath bomb. Take 15-20 minutes to just relax, and get yourself in the zone.
- Light a nice smelling candle, and play some music. I’m sure you’ve got a candle laying around that smells great, and Pandora has some free relaxation music stations that will get you in the zen mode.
- Use a bowl from your kitchen to soak your feet and hands in before painting your nails. This will help soften up the cuticles and the nails, and give you that same relaxing feeling you get at the spa.
- Slice up some cucumbers! Does it do anything, not really, at least according to those that work at a spa, but it sure does feel nice to put those cucumber slices over your eyes while your mask is working its magic.
- Make some fruit infused water. Whether you want watermelon lime or just plain lemon water, whip up a batch, and be sure to drink plenty of it. Everyone needs some good H2O when going to the spa.
- Wear your fluffy robe. Why not, you’re at a spa! You’ll feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Have some magazines ready for browsing. You can take the little quizzes or read all your celebrity gossip.
- If you have a neck massager, or a massage rolling ball, use those! It’s not quite the same as a spa massage, but it will help remove some of those knots from your neck and back area.
- Get a bouquet of fresh flowers. Put them in a vase on the table or near where your spa zone is set up, and enjoy the fresh scent they bring.
- Set yourself up in your back patio or by the pool if you have one. If not, create a zen area in your house.
- Have glasses of wine or cocktails ready. Mocktails are a great option for those under 21, and you can get as fancy as you want with them.
- Prepare your favorite snacks. Little fruit parfaits are delicious and healthy, and it’s always nice to have your friends over and eat some delicious treats with them.
- Have a nice meal delivered at the end of the day. Order takeout and with everyone chipping it, it won’t be too bad price-wise, and you can extend this party into the evening.
- Have an old-fashioned sleepover. If you prefer to get everyone together at night, have the girls over for a sleepover instead.
There are so many great ways to elevate your do it yourself spa day. If you are desperately needing some me time, then take these tips and make them for one. Pour yourself a glass of wine, put on some music, and sit back and relax. Whether you want a group or not, a do it yourself spa day is much cheaper than going to a spa or salon, and it can be just as much fun. You’ll be able to relax, spend some time with friends or yourself, and enjoy a couple of hours of your day that’ll help you to recharge for the upcoming week.