Whether you are a pet owner or you suffer from seasonal allergies, getting an air purifier can be a great option for you to upgrade the air in your home. As a pet owner, I of course have air purifiers in my home specifically designed for pet dander, and as a seasonal allergy sufferer as well, let me tell you, these things are amazing.
I personally use Levoit air purifiers in my bedrooms, and they work fantastic! If one of your concerns is the noise, cast that care away, they have night modes, as well as run nearly silently. I keep mine running on 2 out of 3 levels, and I don’t even hear it. They are also very small, so they can sit on the floor or on a dresser without taking up too much space, which is nice if you have smaller rooms.
The only thing I will warn any pet parents on is getting an air purifier that has an ionizer. Unfortunately, ionizers release ozone into the air as a byproduct, which can actually be harmful to small creatures, especially within the house. So opt for one that doesn’t have that option, and you will be well on your way to combatting some of you allergy meds and just having cleaner air throughout your home.
Any new parent can get a little overwhelmed, and one of the nicest things someone can do is offer to babysit for a few hours. You don’t have to spend all night there, and the parents don’t even have to leave! This can be a great opportunity for them to enjoy a nice shower or nap or some time together just enjoying the fall weather, while you watch their little one.
Hey y’all! So one of the things I’ve been blessed with my entire life is super thick hair. I mean, when I go to a hair stylist, I usually hear “there’s just sooo much of it” and then something along the lines of “I could do so much with this” which while I know is super flattering and great for me and my future kids, it also means I have to take care of a ton of hair. I personally love keeping my hair silky and frizz-free, no easy task in Florida, and I have to use several products to do so. So if you’ve found yourself lacking a bit in the hair and scalp care department, this post is for you!
- Get rid of any dandruff with tea tree oil. That’s right, while those shampoos may help you out, they are full of harsh chemicals whereas tea tree oil is not. It’ll give a cool tingling feeling as it works, and get rid of any flakes you may have.
- Use a hair mask once a week. This is important to help keep your hair healthy. Heat damage is real, and if you don’t protect and nourish your hair, you’ll have frizzy and heat-damaged ends. I use a leave-in conditioner usually on Sundays that stays in for 5 minutes and not only makes my hair smell amazing, but also makes it super silky smooth, perfect to start the week on a good note.
- Use heat protectant. Use it before you straighten, curl, or blow-dry.
- Get your hair cut regularly. This one is key too, you can’t have healthy looking hair if you don’t take care of it and lose those split ends that are weighing your hair down. I know it seems counter-intuitive to cut your hair, especially if you are trying to grow it out, but sometimes you just have to do it.
- Be careful how much you color. I used to dye my hair blonde, and I managed to keep it pretty healthy by using protectants, argan oil, and deep conditioning treatments, but after several years, even with all of that, it starts to show, so be careful how much you color your hair, and make sure your hair stylist uses a conditioning product after each color treatment.
- Get a scalp massager/brush. They cost maybe $10 at Amazon and can really help you to get rid of any product buildup and make sure you’re really scrubbing your scalp with each wash. Plus, they come in cute colors!
Do you have any tips I forgot to keep your hair growing strong, shiny, and healthy? Let me know in the comments!
Hey y’all, the best time of the year has finally started to arrive! With that being said, we can now open up windows and enjoy the cooler air, and with that comes some fall cleaning.
I love doing a deep clean of my house after summer because we’ve had the house locked up with the AC running, and it’s nice to help get some of those everyday life odors out and freshen up the house. One thing that I discovered is a great deodorizer is coffee! That’s right, ground coffee, put in bowls all around your house will not only make it smell like a coffeehouse, which um yes please, but it also will help deodorize the air, which is great for helping to freshen up after a long summer.
This is especially great for pet parents who may not have realized it, but our animals, even when you bathe and clean up after them each day, still tend to have a little bit of an odor, and when they’re inside all day and the house is closed up, that can build up a bit. Luckily, you can buy a cheap bag of coffee and the odors will disappear. And did I mention your house will smell like coffee? Win-win! Happy fall y’all!
In the spirit of fall, this recipe comes from https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/healthy-pumpkin-zucchini-chocolate-chip-bread// and looks like an absolutely delectable option for a mid-morning snack that’s guilt-free. Check it out!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
How to Prepare:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a bread loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
In another bowl, combine pumpkin, zucchini, honey, oil, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Add in almond milk.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
Add chocolate chips.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This is super easy prep, and will make a delicious fall-themed snack that is perfect for an afternoon party or mid-morning snack with your cup of coffee. Not to mention, it’s got some veggies right in it!
Ahh tea, one of my absolute favorite drinks. It’s perfect for hot or cold weather, since you can drink it hot or iced, and there are so many flavors and styles, it’s impossible not to enjoy a good cup of tea. Not to mention, you can drink it however you like, with milk, sugar, lemon, nothing added at all, how you drink the tea is completely up to you. But you know what’s even better than all of that? The health benefits of drinking a good cup of tea.
I’ve been having a cup of tea each morning for months now, and even when I was a kid, my gram and I used to do tea parties each afternoon where we’d enjoy a cup of tea in her tea china. Needless to say, that holds amazing memories for me, and that’s definitely where my love of tea came from. However, if you don’t have something like that that made you a tea drinker, these health benefits may just convince you to have a cup of tea.
Health Benefits of Drinking Tea:
- Soothes a sore throat. I think it’s safe to say we all want a nice hot cup of tea when we’re feeling sick and have a sore throat. It’s soothing, and there are certain types of tea that are better than others for helping it. Lemon tea is great for helping with that, as are the special Throat Coat teas that are made specifically with sore throats in mind.
- Helps ease your stomach. A cup of ginger or peppermint tea can help if you are having some nausea or an upset stomach. It’s an all natural way to get feeling better in no time!
- Helps ease anxiety. Peppermint and chamomile tea are great for helping when you are feeling anxious or stressed. If you’re struggling to sleep at night, chamomile is great as are special blends of night time tea that may include lavender or chamomile.
- Gives antioxidants. Most teas, but especially green teas, are high in antioxidants which help your body to stay healthy. Having a cup of green tea each day can be extremely beneficial to your health.
- Wakes you up. Green tea has an all-natural form of caffeine, so if you feel you can’t quite quit the coffee habit, this is a great alternative to help you still get that jolt. Black tea is also full of caffeine, so that’s a great option as well.
- May help reduce heart issues and cancer. Tea has these things called flavonoids in it, which can be very beneficial for reducing heart issues and even potentially helping protect against cancer. Seems like a great reason to add a cup or two to your diet!
- Lower cholesterol. Oolong tea has actually be found to help lower bad cholesterol in an animal study, so if that’s a health issue you’re currently working with, it certainly couldn’t hurt to add a cup or two each day to help with that.
The reality is, there are so many benefits to tea, some of which are just relaxation and enjoyment. One of my favorite things that I’ve done with some family friends is going to an afternoon tea and just spending time together over delicious little snacks and several pots of tea.
We live in such a rush-rush world that sometimes we can forget to take a few moments to just catch our breath. This weekend was absolutely crazy for me, I had a concert, Disney with the family, brunch, then was hanging out with people, and it was a whirlwind. And then this week is going to be full of work and errands, and laundry and cleaning, and just the thought of it all is a bit much. But what will help keep me calm and going strong through it all will be taking time to breathe.
It’s important to set some time aside during your day to just take a few deep breaths. My Apple watch is great about reminding me to breathe about twice a day, but I generally try to take a few deep breaths when things start to get stressful or I get overwhelmed with client emails coming in. No matter what it is stressing you out, take time to breathe and work through it. Even just a few deep breaths can help you to tackle your stressor more easily.
For this refreshing drink you’ll need:
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 9 cups of water, divided
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- 6 tea bags, just plain tea will work best for this
- Add blueberries to one cup of water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, and allow to simmer until blueberries burst.
- Add sugar, the juice from one lemon, and chopped mint to the blueberry water. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let steep about 5 minutes. Drain through a strainer, and set aside to cool.
- Bring the remaining 8 cups of water to a boil, remove from heat, then add the tea bags and let them steep for ten minutes. Set aside to cool after tea bags have been removed.
- Combine blueberry syrup and tea in a pitcher and put in the fridge to cool for several hours.
- Add ice, fresh blueberries and lemon wedges, and serve!
I think by now we all know how important exercise is. However, did you know the reasoning behind getting in your 10,000 steps a day? Of course, most of us have heard of this goal, but we may not know the reasoning behind it. Luckily, I pulled that information, so you now know why you need to get your steps in!
As with most forms of exercise, getting your steps in is not just to torture you, there are real health benefits to it. So check them out and start walking!
- Increased flexibility. That’s right, just walking can help with that, though I definitely suggest adding something else on too to help keep those muscles loose.
- Burn fat. It’s a form of working out, so of course, by getting those 10,000 steps you are burning calories and fat.
- Promote good digestion. This one may be a bit surprising, it’s actually not something I had known about previously.
- Relieves stress. Especially now that we are getting into cooler weather, there’s nothing like a nice walk outside in the brisk fall air to help you get out of your head and let go of some of that stress.
- Increases energy. All forms of exercise give you more energy after to tackle what’s left of your day, so make sure you hit those step goals!
- Improves posture. This one is important for soo many reasons, the top one being, you don’t want to see a chiropractor once a week for the rest of your life! So stop slouching and get walking!
There have also been a few studies showing women especially are less likely to suffer from medical issues if they get their 10,000 steps a day. So ladies, and gents, please make time for this, and use a tool to help you know if you got your steps. If you have an Apple watch or Fitbit, check those stats! If not, pedometers and other fitness trackers are cheap, and easy to use 🙂
Hey y’all, so I think it’s safe to say by now if you read this blog, you know I’m big on eliminating unnecessary chemicals from my life. Hearing about potential health issues from using certain products just makes me a bit leery of them, and honestly, with so many green cleaners and products on the market now, there’s no reason to keep them in your life. I’ve included some tips on how to switch to green cleaners, and some of my favorite products. Check them out!
- Method cleaners. This brand is available at Target, and I must say, there are so many options! I have laminate flooring in my house, so I have to use a special cleaner for hard floors, guess what, they have one and it smells amazing! They also have anti-bacterial cleaners for the kitchen, bathrooms, etc., as well as no rinse shower cleaners, and even laundry detergents! This is a brand you’ll definitely want to try, I’m impressed with how well it works, and the fact that I’m not using a bunch of chemicals around the house!
- Vinegar. In case you didn’t know, vinegar plus water makes a great all natural tile and counter top cleaner. Just mix them together, and start mopping. This is something my mom has done my entire life, and it not only offers a very clean smell, but it also cleans up all the gunk that can gather on the floors as we, and our pets, walk around.
- Baking soda and vinegar drain cleaner. Oh yeah, say goodbye to Draino Plumber! If you pour some baking soda and vinegar down the drain, it’ll clear up those clogs. You then can flush with hot water. Now, this one may take more time, but hey, you’re using all natural ingredients, and is probably even cheaper.
- Nature’s Miracle for Pets. This is a product that is non-toxic for your fur babies, and as an added bonus, is an enzyme cleaner, which all pet owners know they need to have on-hand in case of an accident. The enzymes will actually break down the mess, so you’re not just disguising the smell, but actually eliminating it.
- Baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. This is a great combination for a sink cleaner that won’t smell bad and is something you can DIY with ingredients you likely already have! Just sprinkle it around, scrub, and rinse away.
Whether you are trying to eliminate some extra chemicals in your life or are just trying to save by DIYing your own cleaners, these are great options for you to try.