Hey y’all! So for this Wellness Wednesday, I’m focusing on real, normal girls morning routines. This has been inspired by seeing some of the celebs I follow and their morning routines, and how they say “oh do this and I do this, and you can do it too.” Um no, sorry, I cannot have coffee and a fresh pressed juice delivered to me on a daily basis. That’d be nice, but my budget definitely does not allow me to do that. So, instead, here’s my normal girl’s morning routine, for all you everyday girls who have to make your own coffee 😉
- Get up early and allow yourself a few minutes of social media scrolling. I personally have tried to avoid social media in the morning, and quite frankly, it feels weird, especially because I get a lot of my news updates from my phone, so ignoring it first thing in the morning just doesn’t work for me. What does though is ensuring that I only spend a couple of minutes scrolling. I allow myself 10 minutes, and then that’s it.
- Workout first thing in the morning. If you happen to be one of those girls who always says you’ll workout in the afternoon and then you never do, this is a great way to just get it done. Drink a glass of water before starting and eat a banana or something real quick for some energy and then get that workout done! I personally like to do my workouts in the evenings, but morning yoga is a great way to start the day and be calm when those work emails start coming in.
- Shower/Get dressed. Obviously in this quarantine, the outfits I wear have changed quite a bit. I used to wear dresses and skirts to work since I worked in an office, but now that I am full-time work from home, my outfits generally consist of shorts and shirts. However, one thing I always make sure I do is that I get dressed in “real” clothes, not athleisure and not staying in my pajamas. It helps me to feel a bit more normal in this new routine.
- Coffee and breakfast. That’s right, I didn’t forget the coffee. I personally have coffee only a couple days a week and then have tea in the mornings on other days. I also make my own, gasp, so no Starbucks delivery daily. A Keurig was one of the best investments I made, as I can quickly get a cup of tea or coffee in the morning.
- Step outside for a bit. Because I’m working from home now and not really going out as much, I don’t get as much time in the sun as I’m used to. If you’re struggling with this, one thing I do is spend about 20-30 minutes outside in the morning after the sun has come up. I take my tea or coffee out with me, wave at some of the neighbors, and just enjoy the peace and quiet it offers me. I also then get a chance to get some Vitamin D first thing in the morning. Remember, we need about 30 minutes a day, even if you split it with 15 in the morning and 15 in the afternoon, try to get outside. We’re similar to plants in that we need water and sun, so don’t forget those!
- Start work. Once 7:30 am rolls around, it’s time to get started on work.
This is by no means comparable to a celebrity’s day in the life morning routine with the fancy skincare, etc. Because of my work schedule, I find it easier to focus on my skincare at night, unless of course it’s a part of my makeup routine, which is included in getting showered/dressed. But any extra face masks or anything will be done on the weekend or in the evenings. If you’ve been struggling to get out of bed during this pandemic, please know that even this may seem like a lot to do in the morning, and you don’t have to do it all. But start with one or two things, things that get you moving before work. Also, make sure you take your laptop out to the table or an office, rather than working in your bed. It’s really not good for your mental health to blend work/school/sleep times all together, which is what happens if you do your work from bed.
What’s part of your morning routine? Did I miss anything important that I should be focusing on? Comment below, I love to hear about new things to try 🙂